miércoles, 3 de diciembre de 2014

Shannon Knight, a brilliant illustrator

((THIS IS THE ORIGINAL TRANSCRIPT OF THE SHANNON KNIGHT'S INTERVIEW. IF YOU'D LIKE TO READ THE TRANSLATED VERSION CLICK HERE))

Shannon Knight, self-portrait

Shannon is a freelance illustrator and artist who was born and raised in rural Massachusetts, and currently resides in Boston. She attended Massachusetts College of Art & Design where she earned a BFA in Illustration. She has been recognized by the Society of Illustrators of Los Angeles and featured in Creative Quarterly

Some of her clients include Brandeis Magazine, Worcester Magazine, New England Arts for Animals, and On Tray Magazine.

This is one of our original interviews, and before reading what this illustrator has to say, I invite you all to go to her website and follow her work on facebook or tumblr. Again, if you want to see the translated version click here.

Lily

Have you always been a creative person?
Absolutely. I have always been a creator. Whether it was drawing, painting, sewing, or sculpting, I loved creating from a very young age.

How has illustration changed your way of seeing the world?
My education in illustration has made me appreciate how much artists contribute to our daily life. I've always had an appreciation for good design, or packaging that uses illustration, but now there's a deeper understanding and sometimes, I'll see an album cover or a bottle of wine and say "Hey! I know this artist!"

Kitsune

Is there another graphic and visual field you'd like to combine illustration with?
I love fashion design and interior design, and I follow both industries closely. I have lofty dreams of painting designs and patterns and having a line of clothing using my original textiles, or a set of dinnerware with my paintings on the plates and napkins.

What comes first, an idea or the inspiration? Or they're always connected?
It can go either way. Sometimes I'll be struck with a really developed concept for a piece, and I'll have the whole image in the back of my brain, ready to be translated onto paper. More often, I might see something I like, whether in nature or art or just daily life, and feel inspired. Lately, since I am surrounded by all this beautiful autumn foliage and harvest, all I want to paint is pumpkins!

Poe

How would you define your work? And do you consider you've got a signature style?
That's a really hard question. Like anything else, it's hard to be objective about your own work because you don't have any space from it. People tell me I have a very distinctive style, which is really good to hear, because I don't always think so and distinction is very important in a saturated industry.

How important do you think is female representation and visibility in the graphic area?
I think it's very important, just as it is in any other industry. Fine art making (i.e. painting and sculpture) has been completely male-dominated throughout all of art history. In the last 200 years or so, I think there's been a lot of progress towards equal representation of both genders in fine art, and in illustration specifically, several of the top working illustrators in the world are women (Yuko Shimizu and Victo Ngai come to mind)! Women still deal with inequality on a daily basis, but in a very short amount of time, I think art has actually become one of the most gender equal industries.

Cake

Thanks to Shannon for answering my questions so kindly, and talk about her work and thoughts! I finally leave you again with the invitation to check out her work on her website

Pool babes
Devendra

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario